We provide training to A standard and can arrange for the examination to be taken with a Registered Club Examiner or Chief Examiner.
The candidate must successfully carry out the following flying test and reference to the BMFA Guidance Notes is very strongly recommended:
- Carry out pre-flight checks as required by the BMFA Safety Codes.
- Take off and complete a left (or right) hand circuit and overfly the take-off area.
- Fly a ‘figure of eight’ course with the cross-over point in front of the pilot, height to be constant.
- Fly a rectangular circuit and approach with appropriate use of the throttle and perform a landing on the designated landing area.
- If the engine stops during the landing the model may be retrieved and the engine restarted to enable the remaining parts of the test to be completed.
- Take off and complete a left (or right) hand circuit and overfly the take-off area
- Fly a rectangular circuit at a constant height in the opposite direction to the landing circuit flown in (d) .
- Perform a simulated deadstick landing with the engine at idle, beginning at a safe height (approx. 200 ft) heading into wind over the take-off area, the landing to be made in a safe manner on the designated landing area.
- Remove model and equipment from takeoff/landing area.
- Complete post-flight checks required by the BMFA Safety Codes.
All manoeuvres must be carried out in front of the pilot and may vary depending on the wind direction.